The San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park seeks a full-time STEM Educator to join our team. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The STEM Educator leads educational programs and activities for the Museum’s various audiences, with an emphasis on after school programming and summer camp funded by The San Diego Foundation’s Level Up SD program for San Diego Unified students. The position is temporary, through May 2022, but may be extended for summer camp and possibly Fall 2022 programs. Requirements of Level Up SD staffing include tuberculosis (TB) clearance, background check/security clearance, and COVID-19 vaccination.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Co-teach Level Up after school classes for grade K-5 students in structured, inquiry-driven learning environment at their school.
- Create, update, and teach STEM curriculum for school programs in collaboration with department team members.
- Facilitate weekend family day programs with the department.
- Promote safe, engaging learning environment for all audiences, and maintain creativity, high-energy, and flexibility under pressure.
- Available for other Museum programs including, but not limited to, birthday parties, scout badge workshops, outreach programs, evening special events, and weekend family events.
- Participate in other activities in support of the Museum at the direction of the Education Director.
- Assist with implementation of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives including ELL, sensory friendly, and career/role models.
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM-related field
- Dual language speaker, Spanish preferred
- Solid background, preferably with related degree, in subject areas related to Museum curriculum
- Teaching experience, preferably in STEM information education
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work in an informal learning environment while providing a structured formal learning experience
- Basic knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, STEM fields, including interest in, or willingness to learn, the field represented by the Museum collection and potential human colonization of the moon.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of current office and classroom software including Google Docs, Microsoft Office, and willingness to learn Lego Spike.
Level Up Requirements
- Proof of COVID-19 full vaccination status unless there is a valid medical or religious exemption
- TB certificate stating free from active TB
- Ability to pass a background check from California Department of Justice.
Work may be performed in an office, museum, or field environment. Moderate physical activity is required, including the handling of objects up to 25 pounds. Some evenings and weekends are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Museum is a nonsmoking, drug-free workplace.
$22 per hour plus benefits for full-time employment
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!