Position: Guest Experience Manager
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Schedule: Generally five eight-hour days each week which include Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, some evenings. Schedule may fluctuate to provide interaction with staff working varying schedules.
The Guest Experience Manager supports the mission of the San Diego Air & Space Museum by providing oversight of the guest experience at the Museum including admissions, theater, simulators, food-service and other areas as assigned. The position requires a commitment to constant quality improvement of the guest experience. The Manager supervises approximately 20 staff. Responsibilities include managing, training, developing and mentoring staff and interacting with other Museum departments to ensure the best possible guest experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Commitment to providing an exceptional guest experience with a focus on constant quality improvement.
- Directly supervise guest experience staff including admissions, theater, simulators, and café. Staff supervision is the primary responsibility of this position and requires interviewing, training, correction and addressing disciplinary issues up to and including terminations.
- Provide recommendations on engaging guests from diverse backgrounds and with varying abilities including hearing and vision challenges, mobility challenges, developmental disabilities, etc.
- Display expert knowledge of each guest experience positions including knowledge of the point-of-sale systems, simulators, Balboa Park Explorer program, café service, theater, etc.
- Experience with cash handling and ensuring appropriate internal controls are adhered to.
- Promote positive interactions with other museum departments to create an environment where guests feel welcome, comfortable and safe.
- Manage work schedules for guest experience staff ensuring appropriate staff coverage to address needs related to fluctuations in attendance.
- Oversee the development and coordination of all job-specific training and on-going education programs for guest experience staff.
- Provide oversight of purchasing and receiving related to ticket sales, simulators, and café.
- Work with café staff to develop menus and ensure proper food handling techniques.
- Ensure that applicable museum policies and procedures are accurately communicated to guest experience staff and volunteers and are effectively enforced. Communication of policies and procedures requires both exceptional verbal communication skills as well as the ability to document procedures in writing.
- Respond appropriately to visitor questions, comments and concerns. Communicate visitor feedback to management.
- Project a positive and professional image to staff, volunteers and guests.
- Serve as point of contact for vendors including ticket providers, Balboa Park Explorer passes, café vendors and service providers, etc.
- Serve as liaison to appropriate committees within the Museum and Balboa Park.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least five years of progressively responsible customer service management, preferably in a museum or entertainment venue.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as business administration or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional ability to communicate in person, via phone and in writing.
- Experience in direct staff supervision, staff development and training.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Experience with purchasing and inventory management.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft office and experience with point-of-sales systems.
- Experience in the food services industry helpful. Ability to obtain a food handlers card is required.
- Strong history of team building/interpersonal relationship skills.
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
To apply: please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees to successfully perform in this position.