Full-time, hourly, non-exempt
DEPARTMENTAL LOCATION: Curatorial
The Exhibits Department and Exhibits Team Members provide a key service in maintaining the overall look and experience of the Museum galleries. The Exhibits Maintenance Technician is responsible for light repair to, and maintenance of gallery exhibits as well as supervised assistance in the construction of exhibits for the Museum.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general assistance in the maintenance of museum exhibits and artifacts – primarily cleaning, dusting, washing, and sanitizing displays and interactives
- Perform some basic craftsman functions including painting
- Travel to pick up supplies, materials, donations, etc.
- Assist with a variety of exhibits tasks
- Assist other departments with minor repairs, equipment/artifact relocation, painting, etc.
- Dust, clean, wax and polish airplanes, cars, exhibit cases and enclosures including floors and decks.
- Serve as designated trained scissor lift, fork lift and boom lift operator
- Other duties as required by the museum
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum one year experience in a similar field
- Must be able to certify as in house equipment operator
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Experience with basic carpentry, warehouse inventory, video, computer software and the application thereof, general maintenance, landscaping, trouble shooting, dusting, painting interior and exterior, automotive finishes.
- A strong mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to work with limited direction and be self-motivated and driven to produce the highest quality work product achievable.
- Must be able to understand and execute detailed verbal and written instructions.
- Positive attitude and ability to work closely with all members of the museum team.
- Familiar with industry standard safety practices including prior Cal OSHA /Fed OSHA training and certification.
- Familiar with the use and application of personal protective equipment.
- Some familiarity with a wide array of hand and power tools with emphasis on the correct and safe use of each specific tool.
- Comfortable working from ladders of varied heights as well as elevated platforms
- Should possess a strong desire to develop advanced skills employed in the exhibits department
- Must possess and maintain a current California driver’s license, have a clean driving record, and
possess and maintain auto insurance.
Work is performed in a multitude of environments including hot, cold, noisy, dusty, confined spaces. Heavy physical activity is periodically required, including the handling of heavier objects occasionally exceeding 50 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than eight (8) hours per day. Limited exposure to physical risk. The Museum is a non-smoking, drug-free workplace. Successful results from a drug screening test and criminal background check are required for employment.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com