The San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park seeks a full-time Facilities Manager to join our outstanding team. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
The Facilities Manager at Gillespie Field is tasked with the overall general operation of the Annex on the days it is open to the public, maintaining the entire facility in a presentable fashion as reflects the overall image of the San Diego Air & Space Museum. This position is full-time, non-exempt, and reports to the Museum Collections and Research Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Make certain the entrance to the facility itself and the parking lot are available and in presentable condition during regular posted visiting hours.
- Perform daily maintenance including restocking of bathrooms, ensuring safe access to walkways, eliminating clutter and maintaining the area landscaping.
- Maintain building security, coordinating with the alarm company as needed.
- Open and close the facility in a timely fashion on visitor days.
- Collect admission fees and monetary donations, providing tracking and accounting records to the Collections Director and Accounting Department on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate as required with Airport, FAA, and County officials about legal and mandated operational requirements.
- Ensure the facility is compliant with all building codes and OSHA requirements.
- Solicit expertise and follow up with outside contractors for necessary repairs beyond the scope of the Manager’s capabilities.
- Oversee volunteers and interns.
- Coordinate and be responsible for Third Party and Museum-sponsored events held at the facility.
- Communicate regularly with the Collections Director and Restoration Manager regarding all issues dealing with operational needs both for the physical plant and the restoration volunteers.
- Participate in other activities in support of the Museum.
- At least 3-4 years of general facilities management or equivalent trade experience
- Demonstrated experience with carpentry, rigging, plumbing, low voltage electrical, and general building maintenance, landscaping, trouble shooting, dusting, and interior/exterior painting.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with an understanding of commonly accepted construction techniques.
- Must be able to work with limited direction and be self-motivated and driven to produce the highest quality of work.
- Must be able to understand and execute detailed verbal and written instructions.
- Positive attitude and ability to work closely with all members of the team.
- Familiar with industry standard safety practices including prior Cal OSHA /Fed OSHA training and certification.
- Comfortable working from ladders of varied heights as well as elevated platforms
- Must possess and maintain a current California driver’s license, have a clean driving record, and possess and maintain auto insurance.
- Must be dependable with excellent attendance.
Work location is Gillespie Field Annex in El Cajon, which serves as an exhibit space and a storage and restoration facility. Work may be performed in a multitude of environments including hot, cold, underground, noisy, dusty, confined spaces, heights, and freeway driving. Heavy physical activity is periodically required, including the handling of average-weight objects up to 50 pounds or standing/walking for more than eight hours per day. The Museum is a non-smoking, drug-free workplace. Pre-hire drug screening and criminal background clearance are required prior to a final offer of employment.
$19-25 per hour, plus benefits for full-time employment
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org