The Museum's artifact collection houses a rare short snorter donated by the Distinguished Flying Cross Society (DFC) and is remarkably well preserved for its age.The name "short snorter" comes from the tradition that if you signed a short snorter and that person could not produce it upon request, they owed you a dollar or a drink (a “short snort”), or a drink that was less than a full shot, as alcohol and aviators did not mix well.
Large dirigible airships graced the skies for nearly four decades, from the turn of the century to the late thirties. During that period they were extensively used for both transportation and as as weapons of war.
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 was the workhorse of the German Luftwaffe in World War Two. Produced in large numbers and in many variants, it saw service from the Spanish Civil War (1936-39) through the end of WW II and during the first conflict in the Middle-East between Israel and Egypt in 1948-49.
Early in the summer of 1929, Cleveland buzzed with excitement about the National Air Races scheduled to come to town. Mr. Lee Clegg of Thompson Products was approached by a volunteer worker of the National Air Races to ask if Thompson Products Co. would provide a trophy for one of the many races being held for the first time in Cleveland.
In the Museum’s World War II exhibit area, there is a Quonset hut reproduction that houses display cases of artifacts. Inside the hut above the main door, hangs a unique item known as a Sector Clock. Originally known as "colour change clocks," Sector Clocks were first used during World War I by the Royal Flying Corps to plot movements of incoming German aircraft. During World War II, Sector Clocks played a significant role in the Battle of Britain, the Blitz, and the bombing of British cities that followed by allowing the British to hold control of the sky with fighters ready to intercept enemy aircraft within five minutes of initial contact.