The San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park seeks an Assistant Curator to join our team. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Assistant Curator supports the Collections Curator and Exhibits Curator in all day-to-day aspects of care and management of collections. Assists in the planning, development, research, and implementation of exhibitions organized with collections, incoming loans, or touring exhibitions. Works under limited supervision and is expected to exercise initiative and sound judgment; upholds the highest ethical standards in maintaining and protecting the Museum's collection.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates the safe retrieval and return to storage of collection pieces
- Assists in the setting up and/or assembly of pieces for display
- Schedules and coordinates the routine aspects of day-to-day usage of the collection and performs general housekeeping duties
- Assists with the preservation and upkeep of the Museum's permanent exhibits
- Maintains and updates accurate records pertaining to the collection, using a computerized collections management system
- Assists in exhibition curation as directed to include retrieval of materials, researching and verifying information, writing object labels, and corresponding with lenders and donors
- Provides information and answers or refers questions about the collection as requested
- Performs general collections duties, to include assistance with acquisitions and loans, recommendation of art/artifacts for restoration, and participation in day-to-day operational decision making
- Oversee the tasks of interdepartmental volunteers and interns
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Museum Studies, or similar field related to the collections of the San Diego Air & Space Museum
- Minimum of two years’ experience handling and caring for objects in a museum or similar historical/cultural institution
- Proven experience in working with, interpreting and developing the understanding of collections and related topics across a range of audiences
- Experience in developing exhibitions in a museum environment is highly desirable
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with and comfortable using PastPerfect
- Demonstrate knowledge and compliance of museum ethics, standards, and professional practices
- Skill in the appropriate handling, crating, and storage of museum artifacts
- Knowledge of exhibit preparation and basic museum processes and procedures
- Ability to understand and follow complex, detailed technical instructions
- Informational research skills.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in the use of computers and Microsoft Office software
Work may be performed in an office, museum, or field environment. Moderate physical activity is required, including the handling of objects up to 50 pounds and standing and/or walking for more than four hours per day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Museum is a nonsmoking, drug-free workplace. A criminal background clearance is required prior to a final offer of employment.
$19-$21, plus benefits for full-time employment
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!