The STEM Educator leads educational programs and activities for the museum’s various audiences, with a special emphasis on School in the Park classes, preschool programs, and school workshops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Co-teaches School in the Park classes for students grade 4-8 in structured, inquiry-driven learning environment
- Creates, updates, and teaches STEM curriculum for school programs in collaboration with department team members
- Facilitates weekend Little Engineers preschool programs
- Develops, oversees, and/or assists with STEM competitions (such as Fly Your Ride) and other community educational activities.
- Promotes safe, engaging learning environment for all audiences, and maintains creativity, high-energy, and flexibility under pressure
- Meets with School in the Park staff at the museum or other Balboa Park locations, including curriculum development discussion with their staff and school teachers.
- Available for other museum programs including, but not limited to, birthday parties, scout badge workshops, outreach programs, evening special events, and weekend family events.
- Participates in other activities in support of the Museum at the direction of the Education Director
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Solid background, preferably with related degree, in subject areas related to museum curriculum
- Teaching experience, preferably in informal education and/or with preschool age children
- STEM teaching experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work in an informal learning environment while providing a structured formal learning experience
- Basic knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, STEM fields, including interest in, or willingness to learn, the field represented by the museum collection
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of current office and classroom software, including Google Docs and Microsoft Office
- Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required
Work may be performed in an office environment, museum environment, or field environment. Slight physical activity, requiring handling of light-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than five (5) hours per day. No or very limited exposure to physical risk. Some evenings and weekends are required. The museum is a non-smoking, drug-free workplace. A drug screening and criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
To Apply: submit cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Education