The San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM) recognizes that our staff are our greatest asset. We are seeking an experienced human resource professional to join our team to fill the first H/R position within the organization. The Human Resources Generalist will be responsible for proposing human resource policies and coordinating human resource activities including recruitment, screening, interviewing, onboarding, training, benefits and labor-law compliance. This position will assist the museum in developing a world-class, customer-centric, engaged and diverse team of staff and volunteers. Comprehensive knowledge of human resources law and practice is required.
San Diego Air & Space Mission Statement:
Preserve, Inspire, Educate, Celebrate!
Preserve significant artifacts of air and space history and technology. Inspire excellence in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Educate the public about the historical and social significance of air and space technology and engage its promise for the future.
Celebrate aviation and space flight history and technology. Job Responsibilities:
- Propose and implement comprehensive human resources policies and procedures to ensure a positive and supportive work environment for all staff and volunteers
- Review and update employee handbook and volunteer handbook as needed
- Ensure that policies and practices comply with applicable law
- Develop and maintain a human resources system that meets management and employee needs
- In collaboration with leadership, develop job descriptions, recruit, interview, and select employees to fill vacant positions
- Oversee new employee, intern and volunteer orientation
- Actively participate in volunteer recruitment and screening
- Maintain records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and retirement plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and statistics for government reporting
- In conjunction with management, establish clear and transparent policies and procedures for hiring, compensating, terminating, and promoting personnel
- Ensure that all mandated leaves are appropriately communicated and tracked including FMLA, PFL, SDI, parental leave, etc.
- Oversee the maintenance and communication of personnel records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization
- Identify legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensure policies, procedures, and reporting are compliant
- Keep abreast of laws affecting the organization, staff and workplace initiatives to assess industry trends
- Attend meetings and draft and deliver presentations regarding human resources policies and practices
- Advise management on appropriate resolution of employment and volunteer issues
- Act as liaison with brokers, agents, plan administrators, and professionals for benefits programs such as life, health, and dental insurance, retirement plans, leaves of absence (including workers’ compensation & FMLA)
- Bachelor's degree in human resource management, business administration, or closely aligned field required; advanced human resource management certification (e.g., SHRM, PHR) preferred
- 5+ years of human resource management experience
- Demonstrated familiarity with compensation and benefits plans, human resources software, and federal, state, and local employment laws
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Ability and desire to work with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding and adherence to confidentiality practices
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Strong organizational, management, and planning skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Must pass criminal background check and pre-employment drug screening
Work performed primarily in an office environment. Ability to use standard office equipment with or without accommodations required.
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.