working at the museum
Thank you for your interest in working at the San Diego Air & Space Museum. The Museum believes in the empowerment of its people and that it's the people of an organization that creates success. The Museum believes in fair treatment to all, values diversity and is a committed Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diverse and talented staff identifies and supports our mission.
We encourage you to review our posted jobs and apply for a specific opening. Applying for a position helps us understand your skills and interests and allows us to contact those whose qualifications appear to most closely match position requirements. We regret that due to the number of applications we receive, we cannot respond personally to all of the highly qualified applicants who contact us. If you do not hear back from us, please feel free to check our openings and submit additional applications for other positions.
Notice: It is the policy of The San Diego Air & Space Museum to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Supervisor: Director of Development & Communications
The Marketing & Communications Manager oversees all marketing, advertising, public relations, community relations, and written & e-based communications for the San Diego Air & Space Museum. Primarily responsible for implementing marketing and public relations plans for special exhibitions, programs and events to increase Museum attendance and awareness including securing ongoing media coverage for all.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Facilitate and help promote exhibits, events, programs, and financial support through advertising, pitching to the media, and written and e-based communications
- Serve as writer and editor for communications to members and visitors, such as bimonthly e-newsletters, the Museum's website, social media platforms (working closely with the Social Media Coordinator), and other communication channels
- Ensure the timely flow of information to the media (English and Spanish mediums including radio, TV, print, online media and social media) through writing, editing, and developing press kits, news releases, media alerts, and pitch communications to keep the media informed of Museum's offerings, events, programs, and projects that are newsworthy
- Serve as the primary contact for all media outlets. Coordinate media coverage and attend on-site and off-site live and taped media segments, sometimes as Museum's spokesperson
- Update and maintain media database for local, regional, and national press, and other local VIPs
- Manage annual marketing budget
- Work closely with Graphics Director on advertising campaigns and other Museum promotional collateral
- Work closely with President and other senior management staff in coordination of special fundraising events
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with a variety of constituencies including donors, volunteers, staff, visitors, government officials and the general public
- Ability to work as a member of a team and contribute to the creative nature of the organization
- Must be detail oriented with exceptional follow-through
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Strong time-management, project management skills
- Strong computer skills
- Knowledge of or interest in aviation helpful but not required
Application procedure: Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Marketing Position". Only candidates with relevant experience will be considered.