working at the museum
Thank you for your interest in working at the San Diego Air & Space Museum. The Museum believes in the empowerment of its people and that it's the people of an organization that creates success. The Museum believes in fair treatment to all, values diversity and is a committed Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diverse and talented staff identifies and supports our mission.
We encourage you to review our posted jobs and apply for a specific opening. Applying for a position helps us understand your skills and interests and allows us to contact those whose qualifications appear to most closely match position requirements. We regret that due to the number of applications we receive, we cannot respond personally to all of the highly qualified applicants who contact us. If you do not hear back from us, please feel free to check our openings and submit additional applications for other positions.
Notice: It is the policy of The San Diego Air & Space Museum to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.
The Development Associate will work closely with the President/CEO and other senior management staff in planning and implementing development efforts for the Museum including corporate sponsorships, grant research and writing, annual appeals, major gifts, special events, planned giving, and individual, corporate and foundation gifts.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with planning and managing aspects of the Museumís development efforts to include grant writing, special events, cultivation of individual, corporation and foundation donors, government funding sources
- Provide administrative support to the President as needed and related to development efforts
- Assist with formulating fundraising strategies including efforts to increase funding from current and past donors and the expansion of funding from newly identified prospects
- Support major prospect activities including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Provide supervision and oversight to the Museumís Membership program and staff
- Provide weekly and as-needed reports to the President
- Research grant opportunities and write and submit grant proposals
- Work closely with senior management staff to identify needs and potential funding sources
- Coordinate annual appeal efforts to include writing letters, identifying prospects and oversight of mailing
- Work closely with President and other senior management staff in coordination of special fundraising events
- Work closely with Museum President to secure corporate sponsorships for exhibitions and Museum events
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements
- Minimum 3 years of proven successful development experience with a similar organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with a variety of constituencies including donors, volunteers, staff, visitors, government officials and the general public
- Experience and connections with San Diego foundations, donors, grant-making agencies
- Ability to work as a member of a team and contribute to the creative nature of the organization
- Must be detail oriented with exceptional follow-through
- Experience with a variety of software programs including Microsoft Office and donor tracking software (DonorPerfect preferred)
- Bachelorís Degree in related field
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Strong time-management, project management skills
- Knowledge of or interest in aviation helpful but not required
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates with relevant experience will be considered.