General Dynamics Corporation (GD) is an American aerospace and defense company established through a series of acquisitions and mergers, forming in 1952 through the combination of the Electric Boat Company, Consolidated-Vultee (Convair) and many others. Convair itself was established in San Diego by Reuben H. Fleet was an American aviation pioneer, industrialist and army officer as well as founder of Consolidated Aircraft Co. in 1923. In 1936, he moved from Buffalo, NY, to San Diego, CA, where Convair was formed in 1943 by the merger of Vultee Aircraft and Consolidated Aircraft, after which the name Consolidated-Vultee shortened to Convair. Headquartered in San Diego, the company produced a number of pioneering aircraft. In 1952 Convair was acquired by GD, but eventually the Convair Division of General Dynamics terminated its aerospace manufacturing operation in San Diego in December 1995.
The Division’s Lindberg Field plant and Harbor Drive Test Facility were on land leased from the San Diego Unified Port District. GD arranged with the Port District to surrender its leaseholds in phases. This process began in 1995 and continued through 1997. Altogether thirty-five buildings on 92.8 acres were demolished.
Collection contains ginal draft of Environmental Impact Report as well as photographs, negatives, and maps. Original negative envelope indicated 36 negatives, collection actually contains 33 original images.
The San Diego Air & Space Museum is a proud member of the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership, a collaboration of 26 arts, science, and cultural institutions in San Diego's Balboa Park. Learn more at www.bpcp.org.