The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Joseph J. Dunkel Personal Papers
Joseph Dunkel was a veteran daredevil parachutist and pilot, flying various aircraft from gliders to four-engine bombers. He made what is perhaps the earliest known reference to an attempt at a stratospheric...find out more
Eighth Air Force Special Collection
The Eighth Air Force was formed in 1942 and specialized in daylight precision bombing. The collection consists of a photographic book containing a narrative, ranging from the years 1943 to 1945.find out more
Thomas Parker Emery Personal Papers
Thomas Parker Emery - a local community college art instructor, mural painter, designer, and sculptor - was commissioned to restore the March of Transportation murals painted by Juan Larrinaga in the Ford...find out more
The F-105F "Thunderchief" was a supersonic fighter bomber produced by Republic Aviation and used by the United States Air Force until the United States ended their involvement in Vietnam.find out more
Joseph H. Famme Collection
Joseph H. Famme, an engineer and manufacturing executive, helped develop a variety of military and commercial aircraft for General Dynamics/Convair and its predecessor organizations since 1936.find out more