The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Benjamin Cloud Personal Papers
Captain Benjamin Cloud was a U.S. Navy pilot who worked in reconnaissance at various stages of his long career, including on the cusp of the Vietnam War.find out more
Convariety was the company newsletter distributed to keep Convair (later General Dynamics) employees connected and informed, featuring corporate and aviation news, employee profiles, and more.find out more
Convair/General Dynamics' Company Papers and Photograph Collection
The Convair/Consolidated/General Dynamics' company papers and photo archives that documents the heritage of Consolidated, Consolidated Vultee, Convair, & General Dynamics in San Diego from 1935.find out more
Frank T. Courtney Special Collection
Frank Courtney started his aviation career in 1913, flying in WWI, WWII, serving in commercial and military aviation for decades. His collection contains, ID, passports, and journals from 1922-1971.find out more
Lawrence C. Crum Collection
Lawrence Crum received his U.S. Navy Aviator wings in 1942 and served on the USS Ranger during WWII & Korean War. The collection contains numerous photographs of the USS Ranger, certificates and personal...find out more