The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
United Press Service Wire Dispatches
United Press wire dispatches covering a wide range of wartime topics, primarily from 1942, including military news, war production, women and industry, accidents, and heavily featuring North American Aviation.find out more
US Navy & Gliding Collection
A collection of photos span roughly twenty years, from a pilot?s training at NAS Pensacola in 1945 to an assignment to weather squadron VW-3 in the early sixties.find out more
USS Enterprise 1941-1943 Special Collection
The USS Enterprise (CV-6) was the most highly decorated American ship in World War II. She participated in almost ever major action of the Pacific theater. This collection contains 1941-1943find out more
VP-13 Tactical Training Squadron Collection
The VP-13 was a WWII Tactical Training Squadron featuring aircraft such as various models of the Consolidated PB2Y. Of particular importance in this collection is the XPB2Y-1 Coronado known as ?Blue Goose.?find out more
Howard Waldorf Special Collection
Howard Waldorf began his career as a World War I test squadron pilot, afterwards entering journalism where he would eventually come to be known as one of the foremost aviation writing specialists.find out more