We Need Your Support
Dear Members and Friends:
In this season when we make giving and community investment decisions, please join us in reflecting on the many programs, events and exhibits created at the San Diego Air & Space Museum in 2011, which have helped change our community for the better.
We’re thankful for you as a friend and member of our Museum family. Your support is critical to the successful development of our high quality exhibits and educational projects, which enrich the lives of so many. As we look to the future, we know San Diego’s children will continue to compete in an innovative and technology-driven world. In order to retain our world leadership, we must emphasize the importance of education, specifically in math, science, engineering and innovation. Our primary goal is to excite children’s interest to ultimately inspire them to excel in their lives and prepare them for the high-tech workforce in the United States.
With the help of our supporters, we surpassed our 2011 goals and look forward to making 2012 even better. Some, but not all of our accomplishments for 2011 include the following:
- Opening SPACE: A Journey To Our Future, a special traveling exhibition which looks back into the history of aeronautics and examines the many unknown questions of existence posed by future space exploration. The exhibition has entertained and inspired thousands of families and students and with your support, we’ve been able to give hundreds of underprivileged students a free visit to the exhibition.
- Earning formal reaccreditation from the American Association of Museums for the next 15 years.
- In partnership with our Atlas engineer team, creating and constructing our new Atlas history exhibit with our first use of a nine-screen video wall, highlighting the Atlas rocket legacy in San Diego and the program’s positive impact on space exploration and national defense.
- Completion of our scratch-built Boeing P-26A Peashooter, now on exhibit, a 10-year project and one of only a few examples of this aircraft in the world.
- Continuing to create air-and-space-themed exhibitions for San Diego exemplifying the importance of imagination with How Things Fly, planned for display Spring 2012.
- Expanding our educational and family programs including: Space Day, Summer Camps (AeroSummer), Family Days, school field trips, outreach programs and Ground School.
- Teaching the San Diego community to think “green” with our Green Skills for Life scholarship competition, in partnership with the Ford Motor Company Fund.
- Restoring, painting and unveiling our F4U Corsair with a special dedication to Lt. Col. Jerry Coleman, one of the Museum’s 2011 Hall of Fame inductees.
- Exhibiting the DeLorean from the movie Back to the Future as an added value to our SPACE exhibition.
- Continuing to preserve our world-class Library & Archives, the third largest in the nation.
- Managing and preserving over 70 aircraft and related artifacts and digitizing over 140,000 images, making them more accessible than ever. Thanks to your help, installation of the collection storage area environmental control system is now complete.
- Celebrating air and space legends at our most successful ever International Air & Space Hall of Fame Induction Celebration.
- Hosting our 28th Annual Charity Golf Tournament to benefit our many educational programs.
- Initiating and committing to the following aircraft construction projects: Hughes H1 Racer, Bell X1 Rocket plane and the T-34B.
- And much, much more… your Air & Space team appreciates your investment and trust!
The Museum has been able to accomplish the projects listed above and so much more because of our supporters—and we need your help to make 2012 even better.
Your contribution helps fulfill our mission to visitors from around the world and right here in the Southwest region. We greatly appreciate the support you have given us in the past, and we are hopeful you will consider making a tax-deductible donation to the San Diego Air & Space Museum’s Annual Appeal today. You may donate online through the Museum’s website at www.sandiegoairandspace.org/appeal/. For any generous gifts over $50, the Museum will send you a beautiful 2012 calendar with images of some of our favorite planes on display. Whatever amount you give, please know your support is greatly appreciated.
Happy holidays and sincere appreciation,
James G. Kidrick
President & CEO
P.S. We depend on your investment! It ensures we are able to undertake high quality programs for everyone. Thanks for considering us.